Thursday, March 19, 2009

Oregon HB 2470 2009

Representatives Holvey and Komp -
CC: Patti Strand NAIA

I was unable to attend the public hearing on HB 2470 March 13th, however I did with interest listen to the hearing testimony in it's entirety via a voice file this past weekend on my home computer, which I must say tempered my view of the situation, however does not sway my position that HB 2470 is not good and it needs work. I will not go into what I think is wrong with the proposal as I believe there was adequate apposing testimony on the hearing day. I have also already addressed Representative Komp via email with my personal view of a nay vote. But what I would like to go into with you now is looking to who the committee should consist of that looks at this and proposes a re-write should one be forthcoming as Representative Holvey has indicated there could be. First and foremost I feel it is imperative that all of the Legislative Representatives votng on HB2470 take the time to educate themselves on what the difference is between Animal Rights Activist Organizations and Animal Welfare Organizations so that the playing field can be leveled. To accomplish this I feel the best place to begin is by looking to what causes each supports and goes after, if you will - in society. Is an organization that suggests radical unbending rules be applied to everyone, who we want to look to, as our chosen advocates and mentors, or should we look to an organization that offers models and case studies that support situations that are both profitable and workable for the majority? Most importantly equitable to our companion animals, in this case canines. So bottom line - I strongly urge you - our legislators to include NAIA representatives in any and all communications regarding the drafting of bills that could become ordinances or laws, that pertain to animals and the rights of citizens to maintain them as personal property, as NAIA is truly a Animal Welfare Organization Lobby Group. In closing, I will be attending the March 23rd NAIA Lobby Day at the State Capitol, I hope to have the opportunity to meet both of you face to face! But in case that does not happen, I would like to offer the following ditty about myself in a effort to support my qualifications to recommend NAIA be utilized by our legislators. Who I am, what I do to support the community regarding dogs briefly as an individual: As an individual, I am part of the solution, I maintain a website that is a labor of love, but not with out cost to me personally. My time, the cost of placing the information on the internet and maintaining it. My website is very easy to find and is referenced many places on the internet. Please take a moment to google Golden Retrievers in Oregon - I currently appear today, March 16th 2009 as the 4th entry on the first page of google as: "goldens". Clicking on my home page provides many links to many resources regarding Golden Retrievers that easily translates to all breed and even mixed breed dogs. Educational material that most importantly points to how to look for a pet responsibly. Which is where I believe our focus should be. I am a pet groomer that works from home, I field calls regarding a variety of public concerns regarding pets . Health concerns, feeding, training, housing, and of course grooming. I am always available to help where I can and I try to provide rational advise and accessible affordable resources to anyone who seeks me out. Try giving me a call some time, I won't know who you are... As a Hobby breeder I provide support to not only those who purchase pets from me, but again to anyone who seeks me out. I have housed multiple dogs of multiple breeds including mixed breeds in my home over the years that have been displaced, abused, or simply are in need of re-homing. On a personal level no dog I have produced has been placed by the original owner into any kind of a private rescue situation or public shelter. With regards to re-homing my own "produce" - in the 16 years I have been breeding have I needed to help re-home 4 dogs. All other dogs I have placed/sold are in their original homes I placed them in or are deceased but lived their lives as cherished family companions. Who I am in the community of responsible dog owners: I am a member in good standing of both the Golden Retriever Club of America (GRCA), Pacific Rim Golden Retriever Club of Oregon (PRGRCO) and NAIA, I currently do not hold any positions within the GRCA or NAIA, but I do hold several positions within PRGRCO. I am the chair of the following committees: Members Education and Public Education, I am the Lesion for PRGRCO to Golden Bond Golden Retriever Rescue our local Oregon non profit organization that takes in, cares for and placed unwanted Golden Retrievers. I have fulfilled my duties to these possessions to the satisfaction of the board of directors and the membership at large of PRGRCO. I sit on the Puppy Referral Committee and I provide public education via written and spoken word via email, telephone and public speaking. I am on the Show Committee, the Hunting Committee, and lastly the Legislative Action Committee. Sincerely,
Gina Heitz
District 22

No comments:

Post a Comment